Robert Cobb is the first person who managed to make this amazing salad. Robert created this tasty delicacy when he was working for a Los Angeles restaurant known as Brown Derby. The famous chef made the salad one night when he wanted to serve Sid Grauman. A few weeks later, the salad became very popular among the locals. Movie stars would always request the Cobb salad whenever they visited the Los Angeles hotel. The prestigious hotel was closed down several decades ago.
Many people love Cobb salad. When prepared well, the delicacy can be eaten any time of the day. Many consider the salad to be a full meal because it has four different proteins and vegetables. The salad is very nourishing, and it does not need any accompaniments. Learn how to make this classy meal and you will enjoy it!
Important Recipe Tips and Tricks
• When preparing the Cobb salad, it is important to start preparing early. Get your bones chicken the night before. For the best results, cook your bacon early too. When you have everything you need for the recipe, you will only be grabbing them from the fridge. While storing your ingredients in the fridge, make sure you are using airtight containers. This ensures that nothing will dry out. If you do not have enough containers, you can store two ingredients in one container. You will only have to keep each ingredient in its separate corner.
• The Cobb salad will have a better taste when you have several dressings. Work with what you love most in your normal salads. You can add blue choose, vinaigrettes, or homemade ranch. You have to wait until serving time so that you can add the dressing. If you add the dressing earlier, the lettuce gets mushy and wilt.
• Be careful about the size of your ingredients. Ensure your ingredients are bite-sized. You can choose to finely chop the lettuce, but ensure that every other thing is ideal for a bite.
How to Create a Classic Cobb Salad
- 1/2 head romaine
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small bunch frisée
- 1/2 bunch of watercress( the coarse stems should be removed)
- 2 ripe avocados( peel the avocado and remove the seeds. Cut the avocado into small pieces.)
- 1 piece skinless boneless chicken breast. Ensure that the chicken breast is halved, cooked, and diced
- 1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon-style mustard
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs. Egg should be separated, the white finely chopped and the york finely chopped.
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup grated Roquefort
- Cook your bacon in a skillet. Use medium heat. Keep stirring until it is crisp. This might take fifteen to twenty minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet and place it on paper towels to get rid of the excess fat. Allow the bacon to cool.
- Place your eggs in a medium sized source pan. Cover the eggs with water and bring to simmer. Cover the pan and remove from heat. Allow the eggs to stand for about ten minutes. Drain the excess water and run some cold water to cool the eggs. For the best results, peel the eggs under cold running water. Separate the yolk and the white. Chop the eggs and season with some salt.
- In a large bowl, toss your lettuce and watercress.
- Start composing your salad. Arrange the bacon, avocado, chicken and tomato over the lettuce and watercress decoratively. Garnish your salad using the chives and chopped eggs whites and yolk.
- The vinaigrette is the last thing you are going to make. Whisk the vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard in a small bowl. While whisking, add the oil. Continue to wish this dressing until it gets emulsified. Add the Roquefort and keep stirring. Add the sugar to taste. Serve separately.